Once the administration headquarters of the Archdiocese of Salzburg
The origins of its name
At the address of Vetrinjska Ulica 16, where was the seat of the Association of Engineers and Technicians until 2006, stands the Salzburg mansion. It was built in the middle of the 14th century, so its foundations are medieval. Its present design dates back in the 17th century and the frontage in 1725. The Archdiocese of Salzburg administration ran their estates in and around the city from here, right up to the beginning of the 18th century.
The most beautiful Baroque mansion in Maribor
The building is the most beautiful Baroque mansion in Maribor with wonderful stucco on the ground floor and a strap ornamental frontage. In the 18th century the mansion represented a meeting place for Maribor’s high society, from 1834 to 1864 it was the seat of the German reading society – a bourgeois casino. With the construction of the Merkur department store and the offices of the Večer newspaper the mansion lost its courtyard.