Column with a statue of Virgin Mary
The plague broke out in Maribor for the first time in the 17th century, causing the death of a third of the inhabitants. In appreciation for the cessation of the plague the inhabitants of Maribor in the year 1681 erected the Plague Column – a pillar bearing an image of Virgin Mary. In the 18th century this was replaced by today's monument, which is the work of Jožef Štraub. Arranged around the statue of Mary, Mother of God are six saints, all intercessors against the plague. The Plague Column is located at the main square Glavni trg, and past which leads the road Koroška cesta.